Rangers boss Gerrard denied opening win by last-gasp goal

Ruben Hill
August 6, 2018

Steven Gerrard recently became the coach of Rangers.

The former England captain was denied his first league win as Ibrox boss after 19-year-old Aberdeen substitute Bruce Anderson claimed a dramatic equaliser in the 92nd minute.

Liverpool legend Gerrard has guided the blue side of Glasgow through an unbeaten pre-season, advancing through two stages of Europa League qualification in the process.

"We were very good with 11 men, we were even better when we went to 10".

"The club is huge, it is an institution, but it starts from the dressing room and if everybody is in there on the same sheet it makes it incredibly hard for our opponents to get something from us, like it was today".

"For 93 minutes it was flawless, I'm gutted for my players, we conceded so late on but we're a class above Aberdeen". "For 93 minutes it was flawless".

"Every single player to a man was fantastic".

"Aberdeen only had one idea and it was to lump it into the box, so I'm pleased with my players".

He added: "It wasn't entirely clear to me exactly how the decision was made".

The Scottish giants are now in the third qualifying round, where they will take on Slovenian side Maribor over two legs. We've got a long journey back to reflect and decide on it.

Aberdeen suffered a further blow soon afterwards when highly-rated centre-back Scott McKenna, who is wanted by Swansea as a replacement for Alfie Mawson after he left for Fulham, went off with a hamstring injury.

"We need to try and use it to our advantage".

McKenna had been at the heart of the sending off of Morelos, who went for an early bath when the 22-year-old Colombian retaliated to the Aberdeen player's barge.

On Saturday Celtic began their bid for an eighth consecutive Scottish Premiership title in style with a convincing 3-1 victory against Livingston.

Two former Celtic strikers were split on whether it was the right call.

But Dons defender Dominic Ball then avoided punishment from referee Kevin Clancy for a foul on Josh Windass before James Tavernier put Gerrard's side ahead from the penalty spot.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article