John Mikel Obi told his father kidnapped FOUR HOURS playing Argentina

Ruben Hill
July 3, 2018

John Obi Mikel has revealed that he was told his father had been kidnapped just four hours before Nigeria's World Cup clash with Argentina.

'Neymar is Pathetic, I Wouldn't Like To See Him After A Flu Injection!'

The police in Nigeria were able to secure his release but Mikel said his father was tortured during a week-long ordeal and is now receiving emergency treatment in hospital.

Mikel told the Guardian that he could not confide in anyone in the Nigerian Football Federation.

Umeh hailed Mikel for his patriotism and said the Nigerian legend deserve some accolades for putting the country first before his family.

"I had to shut it out of my head and go and represent my country first", Mikel told Kwese ESPN.

According to KweseESPN, the former Chelsea midfielder received a call from the kidnappers demanding a $28,000 ransom and if he reported the kidnapping to authorities, they would kill his father.

"I did not discuss it with the coach because I didn't want my problem to become a distraction for him or the rest of the team before such an important match and as much as I would have liked to discuss it with him, I couldn't", he added.

Pa Michael Obi was rescued on July 2 when police exchanged fire with the kidnappers. Have your say in the comments section below. He played 90 minutes as Nigeria lost 2-1 and were eliminated from the competition.

Amaraizu said Pa Obi commended the police for their swift response, which led to their rescue and thanked the Commissioner of Police (CP) in Enugu, Danmallam Mohammed and his operatives for their gallantry.

The news was announced by the Enugu State Police Command via a statement on Monday.

Super Eagles captain Mikel reportedly paid a ransom of 10 million naira (about £21,000) for his release, and his unhurt father is now "recuperating with family".

Reports claim Mikel's father was tortured and needed stitches.

John Obi Mikel now plays his club football in China for Tianjin TEDA, where he moved after spending a decade at Chelsea.

This was the second time the Obi senior has been kidnapped.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article