Boko Haram launch deadly attack in Bama mosque, 5 reportedly dead

Henrietta Strickland
April 23, 2018

At least eight others were wounded after two suicide bombers, a male and female, detonated their improvised explosive devices inside the mosque during a morning prayer in the town located in the northern state of Borno, according to the officials.

It was also learned that most of the victims were recently returned Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).

Sunday morning's attack on Bama is the first since liberation of the community from boko haram in 2015.

Sources however disputed the number of casualties, insisting that so many people were killed and injured in the attacks.

Buba-Shehu Gulumba, head of the Bama local government area, said the suicide bombers hit the mosque as locals gathered for prayer at 5 a.m. local time.

"So far five civilians were killed instantly but there were several with critical injuries".

Bama, Borno's second largest town was seized by Boko Haram late 2014, forcing thousands of residents to flee to Maiduguri, the state capital.

"Those injured were rushed to the Military Hospital in Bama while some of the dead were identified by their family members and taken for burial in line with Islamic injunction", he told TheCable. Three persons died on the spot while one other died later at the Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri, The wounded persons were also referred to the hospital for treatment.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER