US bans govt. employees from travel to Mexican beach resort

Elias Hubbard
March 9, 2018

Citing a new security threat in Mexico's Caribbean beach resort of Playa del Carmen, the USA government is prohibiting its employees from traveling there, marking another blow to the battered reputations of the country's most popular tourist hubs.

"We take our obligation to provide information to USA citizens seriously as evidenced by the clear, timely, and reliable safety and security information we release worldwide", State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a statement to ABC News, adding that the agency will provide "important updates when information becomes available".

Late last month, an explosion on a ferry docked at a Playa del Carmen pier injured 25, including several US citizens. Two weeks before that incident, an explosion on another ferry left 26 people hurt.

Nauert did not elaborate on the nature of the security threat but the US Consulate office in Playa Del Carmen is closed until further notice.

The US Embassy in Mexico issued a security threat Wednesday warning of a "security threat" in Playa Del Carmen.

The State Department urged Americans to consider the alert and to exercise caution, should they choose to continue with their travel plans to the area.

Nauert says U.S. officials are in touch with Mexican authorities investigating the ferry incident.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER