Israel goodwill Ramadan measure cut after Palestinian attack

Elias Hubbard
June 19, 2017

The area around Damascus Gate was sealed off in the hours after the attack, with a few youths throwing fireworks at security forces.

Israel and its supporters have long complained about biased and misleading headlines on stories in the press overseas about terrorist attacks in Israel.

In a Facebook post in Arabic, Mordechai charged that Fateh had congratulated the attackers.

Three Palestinians armed with an automatic weapon and knives attacked Israeli officers on duty near Jerusalem's Old City in twin attacks at two locations on Friday evening, critically wounding one before they were shot and killed.

The officer, 23-year-old staff sergeant major Hadas Malka, was taken to hospital in critical condition and later died of her wounds.

"Instead of condemning the attack, Fatah - which is headed by Abu Mazen [Palestinian Authority head Mahmoud Abbas] - issued a statement in which it condemned the Border Police fighters who killed the terrorists, and praised the murderers as heroes".

"Of course, the Palestinian Authority is refusing to condemn the murder and the same authority will now pay financial compensation to the murderers' families", media outlets quoted Netanyahu as saying at the start of a weekly cabinet meeting on Sunday.

While the Islamic State took credit for the attack, the group's statement misidentified the three, though it is possible the group used IS aliases when identifying the attacker as their own.

But the claim, which came with the jihadists facing defeat in their Iraq and Syria bastions, was swiftly dismissed by Palestinian militant groups.

Israel previously had allowed permits for Palestinians from the West Bank to make family visits and had also given access for 100 Gaza residents to attend prayers at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque.

"Let the Jews expect the demise of their entity at the hands of the Caliphate soldiers", it said, calling the attack "revenge for God's religion and for the violated sanctities of Muslims".

Sami Abu Zuhri, Hamas spokesman, said the ISIL claim was an attempt to "muddy the waters", adding that the attack was carried out by "two Palestinians from the PFLP and a third from Hamas", AFP news agency reported.

"The Daesh claim of responsibility is absurd", he said.

It stepped up a campaign against the fund after a wave of Palestinian attacks began in September 2015.

"A preliminary army intelligence evaluation found no evidence of them belonging to any group, rather they appear to have been a typical popular terror squad", an army spokeswoman said.

Israeli police said on Friday all the assailants were from the occupied West Bank.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER