Three linked to deadly Melbourne siege held for questioning after raid

Elias Hubbard
June 10, 2017

Yacqub Khayre, 29, shot and killed the receptionist, a Chinese-born Australian man, Kai Hao, 36, at an apartment building in the Melbourne's suburb of Brighton on Monday.

"As this relates to an ongoing investigation, it is not appropriate to comment further", she said.

"Tullamarine airport, Avalon airport, these are federal assets and I think the time has come for us to have a dedicated 24/7 tactical response provided by the Australian Federal Police", Mr Andrews told reporters.

Police also seized an imitation firearm on Friday.

Three police officers were injured before Khayre was shot dead.

Australian counter-terrorism police conducted raids in the southern city of Melbourne on Friday and questioned three men they said were suspected of providing weapons used in a deadly siege this week claimed by the Islamic State group. A Reuters witness saw five uniformed and plainclothes police officers wearing gloves and breathing masks entering an apartment in a three-storey block and putting household items into evidence bags.

Police have confirmed that Khayre had been on the program since his release from prison in December last year after serving more than four years for a violent home invasion in Melbourne's north.

"These are not people who are part of terrorism, we do not have any heightened risk, these are people who have provided firearm access to this person to be able to commit this offence".

While those crimes were unrelated to extremism, he had been acquitted in 2010 of plotting a suicide attack at a Sydney army base a year earlier.

Australia passed laws a year ago allowing the indefinite detention of anyone convicted of terror-related offences if the authorities believed that person posed a threat after his release.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER