Manchester concert bomber was known to United Kingdom security services

Lawrence Kim
May 26, 2017

According to Reuters, British police have stopped sharing information about the suicide bombing, which took place at an Ariana Grande concert, with US officials after police said leaks to the media "risked hindering their investigation". Abedi died in the blast, in what appears to have been a suicide bombing.

"Three police warrants were executed in south Manchester in connection to the ongoing investigation", a spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Police said.

It comes after NBC News cited United States officials as saying the bomber's family had warned security services that he was "dangerous".

Officials are examining Abedi's trips to Libya and possibly Syria as they piece together his allegiances and try to foil any new potential threats.

Abedi, the official said, was on the radar of British security officials but time ran out on the surveillance clock without Abedi doing anything nefarious, so authorities apparently moved on.

"We have, considerably, stepped up our security measures in the last couple of years including magnetometers at all of our entrances, wanding and the presence of bomb sniffing canines patrols", Stiles said.

The Manchester bomber Salman Abedi is believed to have travelled to Syria and had "proven" links with Islamic State, France's interior minister has said.

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said officers are carrying out "extensive searches" across Manchester, adding that "it's very clear this is a network we are investigating".

"But it is somebody that they had known".

Grande was greeted by her boyfriend, Mac Miller, according to Us Weekly, as she arrived home from the U.K. "Mac ran up to give her a hug and kiss right after her plane landed", an Us Weekly source said. She also refused to elaborate on reports in Arab media that the father of the bomber had links to Islamist rebel groups in Libya.

Saffie Rose Roussos was leaving the show Monday night with her mother and sister when an explosion went off, killing at least 22 people and injuring 59. He did not name that victim.

The official threat level was raised late on Tuesday to its highest level, "critical", meaning an attack is expected imminently. It follows the arrest yesterday of a 23-year-old man, who remains in custody. Dramatic images from the raid's start showed heavily armed officers storming the building. She said Britain wanted to control the flow of information to "keep the element of surprise" as security forces launched raids and made arrests in the wake of the attack, Britain's worst since 52 were killed in the July 7, 2005, bombings targeting public transportation.

London police said Wednesday they would be calling in the army to help guard key landmarks, including Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament and foreign embassies. They will replace armed police as Operation Temperer takes effect Wednesday.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article