Ariana Grande concert blast: Every parent's worst fear

Elias Hubbard
May 24, 2017

The suicide bomber, who killed 22 people and injured 59 others at a concert of US pop star Ariana Grande in Manchester city, was identified as 22- year-old Salman Abedi, US officials said today.

The attack was carried out by a lone male suicide bomber who detonated an improvised explosive device.

U.S. President Donald Trump, in Bethlehem, said the attack preyed upon children and described those responsible as "evil losers".

Kids and teenagers were everywhere, meeting parents and making their way out of the building.

Speaking Tuesday morning in London, British Prime Minister Theresa May called it a "callous terrorist attack; an attack that targeted some of the youngest people in our society with cold calculation".

Numerous concertgoers were teenagers and witnesses reported that parents were outside the arena trying frantically to find their children, according to The Washington Post.

"There was a lot of little girls running out, and parents shouting out and yelling names", Delgado said. He said there were children among the dead, and many more among the injured. There are few confirmed details, but Manchester police have confirmed multiple fatalities.

"This was amongst the worst terrorist incidents witnessed in the U.K.", she added.

At least one explosion happened in the foyer of the arena, not the main event hall, according to the British Transport Police, the force that protects Victoria Station, the train terminus next to the arena. There was a stampede of people, I was trying to help people up as we were leaving.

Police are now trying to determine whether he was working as part of a larger terror cell.

Dudley South's Conservative candidate Mike Wood, said: "It is absolutely heartbreaking that these children and young people went to the venue to connect with other people and families for a good night out". More than 400 officers were deployed.

ISIS released a statement Tuesday claiming responsibility for the bombing, which took place at the end of the concert when the audience was streaming toward the exits.

In a statement, Ms Sturgeon said: "My thoughts are with the victims, their families and all those who have been affected by this barbaric attack in Manchester".

Police sealed entrances to the Arndale Centre shopping mall and closed roads around it, and later confirmed one man had been taken into custody at the mall.

Earlier police had warned people to stay away from Manchester Arena after reports of two loud explosions.

The bombing at Manchester Arena was the worst terrorist atrocity in the United Kingdom for 12 years, leaving 22 people dead - including children - and many more injured.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER