Video shows 'bullying' incident days before 8-year-old took his life

Olive Rios
May 14, 2017

The attorney for the mother of the 8-year-old boy who committed suicide in OH has accused the elementary school, where the boy attended, of hiding the truth of an assault from his mother. No this will not go away.

The mother learned of the bullying and the surveillance video after her attorneys obtained a Cincinnati police investigative file over her son's death.

Two days after the bathroom attack, the boy hung himself with a necktie in the bedroom of his Cincinnati home. Reportedly, Gabriel had told the school staff that he had never been bullied at school, reports the New York Post.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said his office is looking into possible charges in the case.

Until the investigation is over, she said, his death would be ruled a homicide.

On Friday, the Cincinnati Public Schools released the video recorded January 24 outside a school bathroom.

A blurry and choppy surveillance video recorded two days before an 8-year-old OH boy killed himself shows him trying to shake hands with another child who pushed against a wall and knocked him unconscious.

"It is our firm position that the allegations portrayed in the media are not supported by the video", the district said in a statement.

A detective with the Cincinnati Police Homicide Unit also analyzed the video.

Months later, his family claims there is proof Gabe was bullied at Carson Elementary School days before his death.

CCTV footage from Carson Elementary School, Cincinnati, has now been released, showing Gabriel Taye being knocked unconscious inside a school bathroom, just days before his death.

In this still image from a January 24, 2017, surveillance video provided by Cincinnati Public Schools, the legs and feet of 8-year-old Gabriel Taye can be seen as he lies on the floor of a boys' bathroom after being knocked unconscious by another boy at Carson Elementary School. That day, he returned home from school, went to his room and hanged himself with his own neckties.

Cincinnati Public Schools initially refused to release the video but on Thursday agreed to make it public after the video is edited to blur the identities of the children.

They said school administrators asked Reynolds to get Gabriel and take him to a hospital. As ABC News reports, immediately after he walks into the bathroom, Gabriel appears to shake hands with a fellow student before falling to the ground and remaining there, unmoving, for nearly eight minutes.

"It was very hard for me to believe that an 8-year-old would even know what it means to commit suicide", Sammarco said.

In the video, Gabriel is seen shaking hands with a student.

Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco, the coroner for Cincinnati, was interviewed on WLW radio on Thursday and stated that she has requested that OH police conduct a full investigation into whether there were contributing factors at school that led to Gabriel's suicide.

Leader described the boy as a "happy-go-lucky kid" who had shown no signs of mental issues. We miss him desperately and suffer everyday.

"His life was not only stolen from him, but from those of us who expected to watch him grow up and enjoy life", she said in a statement.

"If I could, I would give anything to have him back", she wrote. The mother's attorneys said her sister, who was caring for the boy while she was at work that night, called to tell her the boy had been vomiting.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article