Robinho leaves Santos over rape verdict

Ruben Hill
October 18, 2020

In 2017, the former Manchester City forward was sentenced by an Italian court to nine years in prison for his involvement in the gang rape of a 22-year-old Albanian woman at a nightclub in 2013.

Santos, which also incubated the contemporary star Neymar, had until now resisted pressure to part ways with Robinho, insisting that the court case was still underway.

Once a rising star of the game, Robson de Souza, popularly known as Robinho, had just days ago signed a 36-month contract with Santos, the side he had played for before he signed on for Real Madrid, Manchester and Milan.

Robinho returned to Santos for a third stint this week but the club came under fire due to the player's past sexual assault conviction.

Brazilian football team Santos has suspended a newly-signed contract with global star Robinho after a sponsor made reference to the player's past sexual assault case and cut its ties with the club.

The Brazilian attempted to head home to continue his career with his former club, who agreed a short-term deal with the player last week, but pushback from the club's sponsors has forced the club into suspending the deal.

Chief operating officer Richard Adam told Globo Esporte: "We have enormous respect for Santos" history.

'We want to make it clear that we were not previously informed about the signing of Robinho, we were taken by surprise by the news over the weekend'.

In a video posted on his official Instagram account, Robinho said: "With a lot of sadness in my heart, I am telling you that I made the decision with the president to suspend my contract at this hard time in my life".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER