European nations condemn N.Korea's SLBM launch

Elias Hubbard
October 9, 2019

"Global sanctions must remain in place and be fully and strictly enforced", the envoys, including from Belgium and Poland, said in the statement.

North Korea's U.N. Ambassador Kim Song earlier denounced the planned meeting, calling it "dangerous" and saying it will increase "our desire to defend our sovereignty".

Three European countries - Britain, France and Germany - called for a closed door Security Council meeting Tuesday to discuss North Korea's test last week of a sea-launched missile, saying it was a "serious violation" of United Nations resolutions.

What appears to be a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) flies at an undisclosed location in this undated photo released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA), Oct. 2, 2019.

Joining France in the statement was Belgium, Germany, Poland and Britain as well as Estonia, which becomes a council member in January.

France's Ambassador to the U.N., Nicolas de Riviere, said Tuesday the three countries requested the meeting due to their "deep collective concern" about the North's October 2 test-firing of what it called a new submarine-launched ballistic missile.

The European council members described these launches as undermining "regional security and stability, and they are in clear violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions".

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un made his first public appearance after the breakdown of working-level nuclear talks with the USA by visiting a farm run by the military, the state media reported.

Paris, Berlin and London had called for strict enforcement of United Nations sanctions against North Korea at the end of August, but the addition of three more European countries added weight to the demand.

North Korea wants to see tough economic sanctions lifted, while the United States insists on maintaining "maximum pressure" until Pyongyang takes concrete steps toward the complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantlement of its nuclear program.

The missile launch was the most provocative move by North Korea since it resumed a dialogue with the United States in 2018 and followed a string of other missile tests over the past few months.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER