Iran: We Have No Desire for War

Elias Hubbard
September 21, 2019

"As we have said before, the United States can only attend if it returns to the (nuclear accord) ... and ends its economic war against Iran", Zarif said.

Pompeo on Wednesday visited Saudi Arabia to hold talks with Washington's allies in Riyadh where he described the attack on Saudi oil facilities as "an act of war".

Last month, Trump called off a military attack on Iran at the last minute after Tehran downed an unmanned United States military drone.

Zarif claimed that efforts to "pin the blame on Iran" for the attacks was "agitation for war" based on "lies".

Probed further, however, Zarif was unable to provide proof that Houthis launched the drones and missiles.

These two facilities are the heart of the Kingdom's oil industry, for most of the crude extracted for processing reaches them before being exported or refined. The problem for Zarif is that some of the cruise missiles used in the attack didn't make it to their destination and crashed, still mostly intact, in the desert. "We don't want to engage in a military confrontation".

"If you're connected to a foreign terrorist organisation, I don't know", he added.

The reports came as the USA and Saudi Arabia considered its response to last weekend's attacks on Saudi oil facilities. The foreign minister said in a message on Twitter that his country doesn't want war but they are ready to defend their territory.

Zarif has in the past said that a so-called "B-team" including Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Abu Dhabi's crown prince could goad the USA president into a conflict with Tehran.

Pompeo had earlier called all nations to condemn Iran's attacks in a message on Twitter on Saturday.

"The Iranian regime's threatening behaviour will not be tolerated". Both Saudi and USA officials have said the attack was too sophisticated for the Houthis to have carried it out.

The secretary of state travelled to Saudi Arabia to meet with the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman to discuss an worldwide response to the attack.

The United States withdrew from the accord a year ago and re-imposed unilateral sanctions on Iran.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER