McLaren retains Sainz and Norris for 2020 F1 season

Ruben Hill
July 11, 2019

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown, who oversaw the arrival of Sainz and Norris previous year, said the drivers are playing a central part in the positive atmosphere within McLaren at present.

In the case of Norris, he has made a brilliant start to his rookie season showing maturity well beyond his 19 years scoring four top 10s with the best result of sixth in Bahrain and Austria.

"It's good news that I'm going to be here again next year but at the same time it wasn't something I was anxious about or pushing for or anything". It was out of the blue last week. It doesn't change too much because I wasn't thinking about it, or anxious about it, but it does give me a bit more confidence.

'As for the dollar, the kerching, I can't even remember what I have got in my contract.

"What has pleasantly surprised me is that we have actually moved forward quite quickly from being in the middle of the midfield to suddenly having the last two weekends a very nice vehicle to fight at the top of the midfield".

"I'm not going to act any differently to what I was".

"With the driver market going on right now, we wanted to be the first team to say here's what we're doing and next year was never in doubt", said Brown.

Norris has qualified ahead of Sainz in six of the nine races so far this year and admits to have taken himself by surprise by hitting the ground running in such a way. Lando Norris, jokingly said that sadly he'll have to spend more time with Sainz. I didn't expect anything at all.

"I can't wait to see all the fans dressed in papaya, experience the atmosphere and enjoy the weekend".

"I always believed McLaren wouldn't be as far back as they were in 2018", he said.

"But there's still a lot of progress I need to do and make until I'm where I should be".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER