Woman hospitalised after drinking too much bubble tea

Elias Hubbard
June 12, 2019

The teen from Zheijiang province in eastern China was sent to a hospital on May 28 by her parents after having stomach pains and not being able to eat or use the bathroom for five days, Asia One reports, citing local media.

It may surprise you to know that bubble tea has actually been around since the 80s, when it was created in Taiwan.

A doctor by the name of Zhang Louzhen, searching for the cause of the girl's digestive woes, performed a CT scan on her abdomen and made a shocking discovery - an estimated 100 undigested tapioca pearls.

The bubble tea phenomenon has swept the world by storm, but one young girl in China has run into serious trouble after drinking too much.

Xiao was prescribed a laxative to rid her body of the undigested pearls and told to drink less of her favourite beverage. Cold black or green tea is poured over, and flavorings like fruit juice or puree are added. It's generally served with a thick straw wide enough for the chewy tapioca pearls to travel up.

Writing for WebMD, registered dietitian Sally Kuzemchak said the drink is regarded by some as healthy thanks to its tea base.

So, unlike popular perception, bubble tea may not be as fun and harmless as it seems. The culprit: tapioca "pearls" often found at the bottom of the popular drink.

Opt for a low sugar level or a honey-sweetened bubble tea and ask for regular milk instead of sugary creamers or sweetened condensed milk. Minimizing the amount of pearls in the drink, or avoiding them altogether, can cut calories from a bubble tea, according to Kuzemchak.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER