Death Toll Rises at Dominican Republic Resorts

Elias Hubbard
June 12, 2019

Another American tourist died while vacationing in the Dominican Republic - bringing the recent spate of mysterious deaths to six and prompting an investigation by the FBI, according to a new report.

The family of a California man say they want answers after the 67-year-old man died after consuming a drink from a minibar at a resort in Punta Cana in April.

Elaborating, she said that she got a 7UP bottle from the minibar in her hotel room and allegedly found bleach instead of soda.

Wallace is the fourth American to die while visiting the Dominican Republic since the end of April.

Arnold said her uncle, an avid traveler, had been in relatively good health and just the month before had been skiing in Lake Tahoe. They had checked in on the same day that 41-year-old Pennsylvania woman Miranda Schaup-Werner collapsed and died after drinking from the minibar at the same resort on May 25, the New York Post reported.

A Maryland man also died suddenly previous year at the same Hard Rock Hotel at which Wallace was staying, according to Fox News.

"He started feeling very sick", Wallace's niece Chloe Arnold told Fox.

"It makes me question at this point, is this cause of death even true", Nieves said.

"He was fine", Arnold told the news agency. The hotel doctor advised him to go to the hospital two days later, and he died the next day.

Yvette Monique, 51, died in June 2018 of a reported heart attack, according to her death certificate, at the Bahia Principe resort, which is the same resort complex that Schaup-Werner, Holmes and Day had died, Fox 29 reports. "Things can happen. But right now we don't really know what's causing this and that's the biggest concern". Day also suffered a cerebral edema. Some said they would no longer be going to the Dominican Republic in light of so many fatalities. "We were promised within three months that we would receive a toxicology report, to this day, which is nearly a year now, we've got nothing".

'Out of respect for the family during this hard time, we do not have additional information to provide'.

In a June 7 statement, the Bahia Principe said it has a "firm commitment to collaborate completely with the authorities and hope for a prompt resolution".

A team of experts from the US Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization has since traveled to the hotels and is conducting tests at the resort where the three died.

The FBI is now investigating the recent outbreaks.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER