At least 8 hurt in suspected package bomb in France

Elias Hubbard
Мая 24, 2019

French officials said a suspected bomb attack in central Lyon on Friday has injured at least eight, with a media report pegging the number at 10.

Police said the incident happened at the corner of Victor Hugo Street and Sala Street, which is in the heart of Lyon, and a security perimeter has been set up.

President Emmanuel Macron called the blast an "attack" during a live Facebook interview, adding that no deaths had been reported 'for the time being'.

"It's not for me to give a toll but it appears there are no casualties", said Macron. "There have been injuries, so obviously I'm thinking of these injured and their families". The prosecutor's office said it is believed to have been caused by an explosive device, possibly a package bomb. However, police said they had not yet determined the source of the explosion. He said there are now no reports of fatalities. Police asked residents to avoid the area.

Paris' counter-terrorism prosecutor has opened a probe into the explosion.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article