Jussie Smollett's neighbors cast doubt on his attack story

Lawrence Kim
February 12, 2019

"Both were sent to Chief of Staff to the Superintendent of Police Robert Boik, who confirmed receipt", a spokesperson for the "Empire" star said in an email, thirteen days after Smollett alleged he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack. Smollett has already agreed to surrender his phone records and is in the process of gathering them, according to TMZ.

"We are continuing to work closely with the Chicago PD and remain confident that they will find Jussie's attackers and bring them to justice".

Almost two weeks since he reported being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in Streeterville, "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett turned over "limited and redacted" phone records to Chicago Police. The actor said he was on the phone with Moore at the time of the ambush.

Moore has said he heard Smollett's assailants shout a "racial slur" and the words "MAGA country", an apparent reference to President Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan.

Smollett delayed handing over his phone records when police requested them, telling officers "he couldn't be without his phone for several hours", reported the Post.

According to police, Smollett was found with stained clothing and "white rope draped around" his neck, as he explained an unknown chemical, presumably bleach, was poured on him in the attack.

Ahern added: "These records will be analyzed by detectives and we will be in contact with the victim should additional information be needed".

"Chicago PD has repeatedly informed us that they find Jussie's account of what happened that night consistent and credible", the statement read.

Since the January 29 incident, Chicago police have not been able to identify any legitimate suspects in the case or find any surveillance video capturing the attack on film. CBS Chicago and other local outlets report that Johnson still wants Smollett treated as a victim, but will pursue charges against the actor if the case is proven to be a hoax.

Smollett initially was "reluctant" to call police because of the attention he would generate as a public figure, Guglielmi previously said.

Superintendent Eddie Johnson has said he has no reason to doubt Smollett's story.

Almost two weeks after "Empire" star Jussie Smollett claimed he was the victim of a racist, homophobic attack, cops have yet to identify any suspects - and some people in his tony Chicago neighborhood are growing skeptical.

The New York Post has dispatched several reporters to Chicago to retrace Smollett's steps in the minutes before the alleged attack.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER