Girl found beheaded, doused in acid and allegedly raped

Elias Hubbard
January 11, 2019

Police in eastern India say a teenager who was found dead this week with her body dismembered and mutilated was murdered by her family in a so-called "honour" killing. The family members had alleged that the police had not acted promptly in the case otherwise the life of the girl could have been saved. The police on the other hand are investigating if it was a case of honour killing.

The family had approached the police on December 28 to report that the girl was missing. The victim's three sisters - one elder and two younger - also did not turn up to answer questions when a woman police officer of the special investigation team (SIT) called them.

Her death has sparked mass protests near Bihar's Gaya where she went missing, 70 miles from the state capital of Patna.

While the girl's family is continuously alleging that it is a case of rape and murder, the police have a whole different stance on the matter. But when the girl did not return after three to four days, a missing report was lodged. "She was possibly kidnapped on her way home". That same day, the family claims her father sent her off with a man known to the family, reported NDTV.

"Prima facie it looks like a case of honour killing done with the help of a butcher", he said. Earlier, the police had taken into custody Leela Patwa, friend of the victim girl's father, with whom she was seen last time on December 31 night.

Police said that they had detained the girl's mother, father and another relative, according to the Times of India.

The police also said that the autopsy report is awaited to determine if the girl was raped or tortured before she was murdered.

The girl was from a poor family in Manpur, belonging to a community of weavers and was a student in a government school near the village. Protests and marches have been taking place since Tuesday evening demanding speedier action from the police. Activists in the locality claim that schools, factories and weavers shut down their operations on January 9 as a symbol of their protest.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article