YouTube VR arrives to Oculus Go

Joanna Estrada
November 15, 2018

With other apps looking to fill that gap Google likely didn't want to lose its dominance in the video market, so it brought YouTube to Oculus Rift and Samsung Gear VR nearly at the same time this summer, via Steam and Oculus Store respectively. According to Oculus, 70% of the time users spend with the headset is watching videos with the other 30% being for gaming. This means users will be able to watch live concerts, enjoy simulated clips and documentaries.

Almost two months after it was announced at September's Oculus Connect conference in San Jose, the new YouTube VR app has finally become available to download on the Oculus Go VR headset.

The launch is not a complete surprise: Oculus first announced plans to bring YouTube to the Oculus Go at its developer conference in September, albeit without a set date. And with the Oculus Go, you don't have to worry about cables getting in the way or accidentally dropping your phone from your face. This will again serve to increase the reach of YouTube's VR app.

With this launch, YouTube is now available on all major VR headsets. "With new and easier ways to create and watch VR content, we look forward to seeing what stories you tell, locations you transport viewers to and experiences you uncover". The VR headset comes with a fast switch WQHD LCD screen with a pixel density of 538 ppi, builtin audio, and microphone unit.

To recall, the Oculus Go is powered by the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 chipset which was featured on the original Pixel smartphone and is paired with up to 64GB storage.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER