Baguette bought at Pret Heathrow kills girl

Marco Green
September 26, 2018

The schoolgirl, of Fulham, was given two doses of drugs by her father via an EpiPen but could not be saved and died in hospital in Nice.

Pret said: 'We were deeply saddened to hear about Natasha's tragic death, and our heartfelt thoughts are with her family and friends.

She began to feel ill about 20 minutes into the British Airways flight, and suffered a cardiac arrest and died later the same day.

Mr Ednan-Laperouse told the court Natasha, who was diligent about checking labels, started eating the sandwich on the aircraft and immediately felt her throat itching so took some Piriton.

The inquest into Natasha's death opened Monday morning at West London Coroner's Court and will probe the labeling of food products.

She was declared dead the same day at a Nice hospital.

She looked desperately at her businessman father to save her life after two epipens were administered on board a flight to Nice, yet she still could not breathe.

But she died in hospital in France and inquest will take place this week with Pret bosses set to testify.

She soon lost consciousness and cabin staff and an onboard junior doctor applied CPR for the rest of the journey.

He held a phone to Natasha's ear so her mother and brother could say goodbye and "cut a lock of Natasha's long brown hair to keep.With much pain and suffering I told Natasha that we would love her forever and never forget her".

"The pain and agony of the call was beyond anything I have known", his statement said.

However, Mr Ednan-Laperouse responded that, while he never bought food from Pret, he would regularly go inside branches to inspect the food and found some did have such labels, while others did not.

Pret a Manger confirmed that its products were not individually labelled with allergen or ingredient information.

"My mother looked down the list and found that the baguette dough had sesame seed inside it", his statement said.

He said: "I was stunned that a big food company like Pret could mislabel a sandwich and this could cause my daughter to die".

Oliver Campbell QC, representing the chain, said Natasha's father "must unfortunately be mistaken" about his recollections of the packaging, because Pret food does not typically display ingredients.

The manager said he left the branch in December 2016, but was "confident and sure" he had put them on the tills and fridges.

However, Mr Hyam then told him a health officer from Hillingdon Council visited the terminal five branch in May 2017 and reported "there were no till stickers to be seen at the till area". In line with United Kingdom regulatory requirements for food labeling, there is allergen signage on refrigerators and at checkouts that direct patrons to inquire with store managers.

Natasha put "her trust in food labelling", her father's statement said.

In a statement, Natasha's parents, said: 'As a family of four, we had a very close relationship.

"Giving evidence on Monday, her father said: "[She told me] "Daddy, I'm not feeling well" and she lifted up her top and she displayed these red welts like lacerations which I had not seen before, but I understood something unbelievable was going on".

Before the inquest began, the family released a statement describing the struggle with adjusting to life since Natasha's death, which they called "a daily battle".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER