Several members of Iran's elite military guard killed in parade gun attack

Elias Hubbard
September 22, 2018

A report on Saturday described the assailants as "Takifiri gunmen", a term used previously to describe the Islamic State group.

Iran was holding similar parades in several cities including the capital Tehran and the port of Bandar Abbas on the Gulf.

State media say Islamist militants are thought to be behind the attack.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

An unnamed spokesman for the Revolutionary Guards blamed Arab nationalists, who he said were backed by Saudi Arabia, ISNA reported.

Speaking to the Tasnim News Agency, the political deputy governor of Khuzestan Province, Ali Hossein Hosseinzadeh said in the "blind and coward terrorist attack" 10 people, including a journalist, have been killed and 21 others have been injured.

Fars news agency said the attack started at 09:00 local time (06:30 BST) and appeared to involve at least two gunmen. The agency did not elaborate.

State television showed images of the immediate aftermath.

At least 18 people were killed and more than 50 wounded in the 2017 attack that saw gunmen carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles and explosives storm the parliament complex where a legislative session had been in progress, starting an hours-long siege.

Iran is conducating nationwide military parades to mark the beginning of the Sacred Defense Week.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER