US supplied bomb that killed Yemeni children

Elias Hubbard
August 20, 2018

CNN said Friday that the experts identified the bomb used in the attack from images taken of a piece of shrapnel shortly after the deadly strike.

The experts told CNN on Friday that the bomb was a 227-kilogram laser-guided Mark 82 bomb.

Of the 51 people who died in the air strike, 40 were children, the Houthi health ministry said last week, adding that of the 79 people wounded, 56 were children.

A spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition said earlier this month the airstrike targeted Houthi rebels in the market and conformed with worldwide and humanitarian law.

Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula - considered the terror group's most risky branch after failed attacks on USA soil - said in a statement posted on its Telegram channel that the report "lacks evidence, reality, or credibility".

In March 2017, however, the U.S. administration under President Donald Trump overturned the ban.

Dozens of children were killed on August 9 during an attack on a bus at a market in rebel-held northern Yemen.

In December that year, the U.S. cancelled the sale of precision-guided munitions to Saudi Arabia because of concerns about civilian casualties.

The value of Yemeni riyal has been plunging since the start of civil war in the Gulf country with the involved parties pointing the finger of blame at each other and bail-out measures seemingly ineffective.

Additionally, Yemen's al-Masirah television network reported a Saudi airstrike on the Hamadan district in Sana'a Province.

Some 15,000 Yemenis have been killed and thousands more injured since the onset of the Saudi-led aggression on Yemen in March 2015.

The imposed war, however, has so far failed to achieve its goals, thanks to stiff resistance from Yemeni troops and allied Houthi fighters.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER