Five people still missing after Genoa bridge collapse

Elias Hubbard
August 20, 2018

Italian prosecutors have launched an investigation into Tuesday's collapse of the Morandi Bridge in Genoa, a disaster which has so far claimed the lives of 38 people, with another 10 to 20 still missing.

Mr Castellucci spoke on Saturday as the victims of 19 families agreed to have the funerals of their loved one at Genoa's trade and convention centre.

Photographs, flowers, stuffed animals and signed football shirts adorned the coffins as many attendees voiced exasperation about dangerously unsafe public infrastructure.

A Swiss Re spokeswoman told Reuters: "We are already working with and will continue supporting our client in managing the impact of this tragic event on the victims and their families". "And now, for the umpteenth time, angels have flown into heaven and paid for the mistakes of other human beings, severe mistakes", said one mourner, a local man who would only give his first name, Alessandro. The mourners also applauded for Italian firefighters, police and volunteers for the civil protection department as they arrived for the funeral. "The pain is deep", Archbishop Angelo Bagnasco said.

However, Toti said in an interview with state broadcaster RAI that he considered positive "everything that could help Genoa and Liguria to get going again". "The deep wound is caused above all by the huge pain for those who lost their lives and for the missing, for their relatives, the wounded and the many left homeless".

The Italian engineer who designed the Genoa bridge that collapsed and killed dozens of people warned four decades ago it was at a high risk for corrosion. Large crowds gathered outside the church in Torre del Greco, near Naples, while the priests blessed the four coffins.

"My son will not become a number in the catalogue of deaths caused by Italian failures", the grieving father of one victim wrote on social media.

Other funerals will be held throughout the weekend, and those honored at the state funeral will now be taken to their individual towns for burial.

"If we've put up five million euros, they should offer 500 million", he told reporters.

After three bodies were recovered from a vehicle crushed under slabs of concrete, the Genoa prefecture raised its official death toll.

Firefighters and rescue teams recovered a auto from the rubble overnight into Saturday.

The European Commission tweeted its "deepest sympathy and honest condolences to the families and friends of those who have died".

Italy has announced a year-long state of emergency in the region.

The bridge was managed by private motorway company Autostrade per l'Italia, which the Italian government is holding responsible for the tragedy.

"It is very human to look for somebody to blame when a awful accident like Genoa happens".

Conte added that in the future the government would force companies that were granted concession for Italy's infrastructure to invest more profits in maintenance and safety.

The cause of the collapse is still unclear. The commission will have 30 days to provide the minister with a detailed report on the collapse.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER