Next Story Chipotle to retrain workers after OH illnesses

Marco Green
August 19, 2018

The outbreak in OH is the latest of several in recent years that have hit the restaurant chain, sickening hundreds of customers.

Health officials confirmed that a bacteria called Clostridium perfringens was the culprit, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) took stool samples from the affected customers.

Health officials say they have identified the cause of a foodborne-illness outbreak stemming from a Chipotle restaurant in Powell, Ohio, that sickened at least 647 people. Traci Whittaker of the health district says five of six stool samples came back positive.

"Once we identified this incident", he said, "we acted quickly to close the Powell restaurant and implemented our food safety response protocols that include total replacement of all food inventory and complete cleaning and sanitization of the restaurant".

He said all employees across the nation will be retrained on food safety and wellness protocols, and that "recurring employee knowledge assessment" will also be added to the chain's daily food safety routines. Chipotle's stock closed Thursday at $502.06 a share, down about 4.5 percent from Wednesday's close of $525.89 a share. No customers have reported getting sick after eating the restaurant since it reopened.

An inspection of the restaurant found that some foods were not being kept at proper temperatures. Specifically, they observed that lettuce was not properly cooled and that beans were not held at a warm enough temperature.

Chipotle says it will retrain all restaurant employees on food safety procedures after OH heath officials said tests tied to one store came back positive for an illness that occurs when food is left at unsafe temperatures.

What's more, two nearby restaurants, according to inspectors, found boxes of raw chicken "leaning on other packaged foods".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER