Monster Hunter World pulled from China over regulation complaints

Joanna Estrada
August 17, 2018

However the game, where players hunt fearsome creatures, was pulled from the platform on Monday less than a week after its August 8 release.

"Monster Hunter: World" is a role-playing game developed by Capcom and licensed to Chinese Internet giant Tencent.

It's the latest blow to Tencent's gaming operation, which has faced a series of hiccups.

But according to the Financial Times, a source close to WeGame reportedly said the removal was not due to complaints from users, but was instead due to "bureaucratic infighting" in China's new media regulator.

The news also sent Tencent shares in a nosedive, down as much as 3.71% and 0.84% on the Hang Seng index.

Tencent Holdings Ltd 0700.HK saw its shares tumble on Tuesday amid concern of a hit to the Chinese technology firm's gaming revenue after regulators blocked the sale of one of its blockbuster titles. The news comes just days before Tencent releases its second quarter financials, during which investors will be inspecting company's plans for adjustment in the second half. Tencent has purchased the license to sell the game to PC users in China. Last month, Capcom said that the game had cumulative sales of 8.3 million copies by the quarter that ended in June.

This ordeal is a huge hit for both Capcom and Tencent: the companies had plans for WeGame to expand with MHW being the first game with simultaneous release both on the platform and on Steam.

Despite the games vast popularity, players have been experiencing numerous connections issues, some of which have been so bad that it has turned players away from the title until the problems are fixed. The Ministry of Culture and Tourism, which regulates the video games industry, did not respond to requests for comment.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER