Woman’s death attributed to infection from a dog lick

Henrietta Strickland
August 14, 2018

Now, it is revealed that in the same month that he had the ordeal, a Wisconsin woman lost her life just days after being nicked by her dog.

Capnocytophaga, a bacteria found in the saliva of most dogs, cats and even some humans, is rarely problematic and nearly never deadly; however, when certain people come into contact with it, it can have devastating consequences.

'I feel like I got robbed.

"We are exposed to many, many, many organisms every day and most of us - the majority, 99.99 percent of people - never get the infection", she said.

"She just kept getting worse", Larson's husband, Daniel, told the TV station about his wife.

Larson's death comes after Greg Manteufel, 48, of West Bend, Wisconsin, was also licked by his dog in June, only to incur a bacteria ravaging disease. At that point, doctors believed that her condition was not related to the dog bite until June 22 when capnocytophaga was identified in her blood.

"The general antibiotics that they put her on didn't do anything".

'That's how rare this is supposed to be, ' he said. Lost my right arm.

"I've been around dogs my whole life, having them lick at me in my face and hands and everywhere", he told People. His blood pressure level had drastically plunged due to which the doctors were left with no other choice but to cut his arms and legs in order to increase the blood circulation, as per a report. Almost 74% of the dogs and 57% of the cats have the Capnocytophaga bacteria in their mouths.

Symptoms usually appear within one to eight days of exposure, but mostly on the second day.

The small bite led to an infection which quickly developed into "severe flu-like symptoms", according to the report from NBC.

Long-term side effects can include gangrene, heart attack and kidney failure. "It's just chance", she said.

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the bacteria is found in the saliva of healthy dogs and cats. However, the people who are above the age of 40 years are at a higher risk along with those who are heavy drinker and have a compromised immune system, the agency added.

It is unclear if Sharon or Greg had any pre-existing conditions that made them susceptible to the bacteria.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER