Woman pulled alive from collapsed building 2 days after Lombok quake

Elias Hubbard
August 8, 2018

The number of people killed in the aftermath of a powerful natural disaster in Indonesia has risen to 131.

Ms Nadia Revanale, 23, was shopping in a minimart in Pemenang at the time of the tremor, the second to rock the island in a week.

Hours later, she asked news organizations not to write more stories about her lively stream-of-consciousness tweets, suggesting media focus instead on those who need help.

Rescuers have been using heavy machinery to clear debris and search for survivors.

"We remember your people in our thoughts and our prayers".

It was a rare moment of joy amid the devastation.

Indonesian soldiers look for victims at a collapsed house in Lombok following the Indonesian natural disaster. That killed 17 people and briefly stranded hundreds of trekkers on the slopes of a volcano.

Jennifer Montgomery-Lay, of Maple Ridge, B.C., said that she, her husband, 14-year-old son and 21-year-old daughter are stuck in Lombok after a powerful 7.0-magnitude quake hit on Sunday evening. A total of 230 aftershocks were recorded by Tuesday morning, BMKG data showed.

A village elder said a 6.4-magnitude quake that hit Lombok a week earlier had caused countless cracks in the mosque's walls.

"Thousands more, tourists and hotel workers, are still in the process of being evacuated out of the three islands", the disaster mitigation agency BNPB said.

Luke Turner, a British tourist who was on the island on Lombok at the time of the quake, said there are "hundreds" of Britons still trying to get off the island.

"We cried. It was all very stressful".

Montgomery-Lay said she and her family have travelled to more than 20 countries after her daughter, Logan Lay, was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2005, which she has been battling ever since. In December 2004, a massive magnitude 9.1 quake off Sumatra triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries.

Emergency crews are working through the wreckage of a collapsed mosque in the northern village of Lading-Lading, where authorities fear a number of people are trapped.

"We are looking for access". "We spoke to a lot of them and they were panicking about their family in Lombok".

Through what she says was "sheer luck", the family heard that two boats would be taking people off the island Monday morning, and chose to take a chance.

Riduan, a 45-year old man whose house in Karangkauhan on Lombok was partially destroyed, said he had received no aid so far and had to buy food on his own.

Association of Indonesian Tour and Travel Agencies (ASITA) chairman Ketut Ardana said SITA had provided free transportation to help the evacuees arrive at their next destinations.

There has been little government relief for the area, where the greatest need is for water and food, as underground water sources have been blocked by the quake and shops destroyed or abandoned.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER