Man guilty of plot to kill prime minister ZlotoNews

Elias Hubbard
July 21, 2018

A British man on Wednesday was found guilty of plotting an assassination attack on Prime Minister Theresa May at her Downing Street residence.

Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman, on trial at the Old Bailey court in London this week, planned to bomb the gates of 10 Downing Street, kill guards and then attack the prime minister with a knife or gun.

Rahman was arrested last November shortly after meeting the officers posing as ISIS members and collecting two dummy explosive devices.

The Downing Street plot was foiled when Rahman believed he was corresponding online with members of the Islamic State (IS) militant group while planning the alleged attack but was, in fact, talking to members of undercover officers from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and Britain's MI5 Security Service.

Rahman had been encouraged to take action by an uncle who travelled to Syria and was killed in a drone strike last June.

The jury had found Imran guilty after being in possession of a terrorist handbook, however, they are still considering whether to charge him or not for preparing to conduct terrorism overseas. He has not been sentenced yet.

Briefly.co.za gathered that the details of the violent plans of Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman were heard at the Old Bailey where he has been on trial with another man, 22-year-old Mohammad Aqib Imran, accused of planning to travel overseas either to Libya or Syria to engage in terrorism. "I want to attempt to kill Theresa May", he is reported to have told the undercover intelligence officers.

Rahman told the officer he was "good to go" but was arrested as he walked away in Kensington carrying the fake bomb.

An examination of his mobile phone raised concern he may be harbouring extremist views. "Nothing less than the death of the leaders of parliament".

Image: A suicide vest belonging to Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman.

On November 18 past year, Rahman carried out reconnaissance around Whitehall. Yet by the time of his arrest he had withdrawn from any engagement in the programme.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER