Teen Dies Of Nut Allergy After Mistakenly Eating Chips Ahoy Cookie

Henrietta Strickland
July 18, 2018

"On Monday June 25, our 15 year old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, while at a friends house, made a fatal choice", wrote Travers-Stafford.

Kellie Travers-Stafford says the packaging on the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups variety of the popular cookie is almost identical to that of the version without peanuts.

Since then, her mother has been sounding the alarm on social media, warning parents and anyone with allergies to beware three varieties of Chips Ahoy! brand cookies - chewy in the red package, original in the blue package, and soft chunky in the brown package.

- A mother says her teenage daughter died after eating what looked like regular Chips Ahoy! cookies.

Two EpiPens were administered and the teen went into anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious, according to her mother.

"She started feeling tingling in her mouth and came straight home". With the top flap of the packaging pulled back, the teen didn't see that the cookie had an added ingredient - Reese's Peanut Butter Cup chunks.

Kelli Travers-Stafford says her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite her peanut allergy, because the top of the familiar red packaging was peeled back, hiding the Reese's label. "I want to share our story with everyone because we want to spread awareness". Chewy Chips Ahoy! made w/ Reese's Peanut Butter Cups packaging clearly shows that it contains peanuts through words and visuals.

Chips Ahoy has responded to the situation and wrote in a statement, "We take allergens very seriously".

The mother said she feels like Chips Ahoy's packaging did not do enough to indicate there were peanut products in the cookies.

"We always encourage consumers to read the packaging labeling when purchasing and consuming any of our products for information about product ingredients, including presence of allergens".

The girl's death "tragically" illustrates the fact that teens and young adults are at the greatest risk for severe allergic reactions, said Lisa Gable, CEO of Food Allergy Research & Education, a national advocacy nonprofit organization.

The mom also called out Chips Ahoy for its packaging and peanut allergy warning label.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER