Second Phase Of Thailand Rescue Pulls 4 More Boys From Cave

Elias Hubbard
July 11, 2018

A total of four ambulances have left the area around the flooded cave in northern Thailand where members of a youth soccer team have been trapped for more than two weeks, suggesting eight of the 13 trapped people have now been extracted.

The worldwide effort to save the group has paired divers in "buddy teams" with the remaining eight boys and their coach.

The head of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakorn, said last week they would bring the fittest people in the group out first. "We can't visit our boys in hospital because they need to be monitored for 48 hours", Somboon told Reuters. "And we will do it faster because we are afraid of the rain".

Ambulances and rescue crews have returned to the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in northern Thailand for a second operation to free more trapped boys. The boys have reportedly yet to meet their families, though a senior official told The Guardian that they could be reunited on Monday night.

So far, rescues have been spaced out to allow for the divers to rest and the oxygen tank to be restocked. On Sunday four members of the "Wild Boar" team were successfully brought out from the cave, after authorities decided they had to rush ahead with a rescue operation to beat monsoon rains.

Thailand's Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda has revealed the same divers who rescued the four boys will also conduct the next operation due to their knowledge of the terrain.

The second phase of the rescue effort began on Monday, hours after the first four were pulled to safety late Sunday.

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was scheduled to visit the site later Monday, after first traveling south to Phuket, where a boat capsizing resulted in 42 deaths, mostly tourists from China.

The rescued boys were airlifted to the Chiagrai Prachanukroh Hospital in Chiang Rai after initial treatment at a field hospital near the caves, and the four boys rescued Sunday were said to be "in good condition".

On Sunday, four of the boys were extracted in a hard mission involving 13 foreign divers and five members of Thailand's navy SEAL unit.

Elon Musk has offered his assistance and has floated plans to save the soccer team stranded in a Thai cave network. A former Thai navy SEAL passed out and died making the dive Friday.

"The weather conditions and other environments today are as good as yesterday".

Cave rescue experts have said they consider an underwater escape to be a last resort, especially with people untrained in diving.

Medical workers" first assessments will focus on the boys' breathing, signs of hypothermia and an airborne lung infection known as "cave disease' which is caused by bat and bird droppings and can be fatal if it is untreated and spreads to other parts of the body.

"The water level is not worrisome", he said, the paper reported.

Narongsak said that experts told him new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square meters (108 square feet).

A mission to rescue a group of boys and their soccer coach trapped in the flooded cave since June 23 resumed hours earlier. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

The fate of the boys and their coach has gripped Thailand and drawn attention from around the world.

An eighth boy has been rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand.

If the tests were successful, the sub would be placed on a 17-hour flight to Thailand.

Two divers have been escorting each child, following a cave line that stretches a mile and a half. "Very courageous and talented people!"

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article