Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to charges he assaulted a 3rd woman

Lawrence Kim
July 9, 2018

NY state Supreme Court Justice James Burke rejected prosecutors' request to order house arrest for Weinstein, allowing him to remain free on the $1 million bail that has been in effect since he pleaded not guilty in June to charges he assaulted two other women, one in 2004 and one in 2013. The charges stem from incidents that allegedly took place in 2004 and 2013.

Haleyi said Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her in 2006 in what appeared to be a child's bedroom in his Manhattan apartment. The literal 16,000 attack ads that demonize the top Democrat don't matter much when you've got a House to win back, she said.

Through his company and Miramax, Weinstein won plaudits and awards for movies including "Shakespeare in Love", "Pulp Fiction", "Sex, Lies and Videotape", "The Crying Game" and "The King's Speech".

However, Weinstein's career is in tatters. Weinstein's fall helped lead to an industry-wide reckoning, one that led to charges of assault or misbehavior being leveled against other powerful figures such as Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Matt Lauer, and Brett Ratner.

The new charges against Mr Weinstein, which date back to 2006, are punishable by a minimum sentence of 10 years and a maximum of life imprisonment, while he faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted of either of the offences relating to the first two women.

Law enforcement has not publicly identified any of the three women accusing Weinstein of assault, but one accuser, former marketing executive Lucia Evans, previously said she was pressing charges.

Weinstein faces a number of potential legal issues.

He faces additional investigations in Los Angeles, London, and by the United States federal government.

Attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing the third woman, talks to reporters after Weinstein left court Monday.

Mr Weinstein was brought into the Manhattan courtroom while handcuffed from behind, then uncuffed for the proceeding. Weinstein was sacked from the Weinstein Company, which has since filed for bankruptcy and been sold off.

"If you are a survivor of the predatory abuse with which Mr. Weinstein is charged, there is still time to pursue justice", he said. In an impromptu press conference on the steps of the court house, Brafman said he had emails to defend Weinstein and added that "he is not a rapist or a predator". "The only place he goes these days is my office, to a Manhattan office where he is trying to make a living, and to doctor's appointments in CT", he said.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER