Blue Jays' Osuna suspended through August 4

Ruben Hill
June 23, 2018

Earlier this week, Osuna pled not guilty to one count of assault stemming from his initial charge by Toronto Police on May 8th.

Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna has agreed to a suspension through August 4 under baseball's domestic violence policy, discipline that will cause him to miss about half of the season. At that time, he is eligible to return to Major League Baseball, but with a subsequent court hearing on July 9th.

The court would not reveal whether this was a domestic violence case. The league has been investigating the charges since.

Now, Major League Baseball can not simply suspend a player based on an arrest, as the policy states that it has "the burden of proving that the player committed a covered act".

"Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Osuna violated the Policy and should be subject to discipline in the form of an unpaid suspension that will expire on August 4th." said MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred in a statement issued on Friday evening.

Now, whether the policy is fair and just is another discussion, and that would be up to the players to raise the next time the CBA, which runs through 2021, is up for discussion.

"I don't have much of a reaction other than you take what Major League Baseball does and trust that and live with that and let it go through its course", Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said before Friday night's road game against the Los Angeles Angels. You knew something was coming down. "Hopefully, it all gets worked out on both sides and everyone gets the help they need and everything works out fine".

For now, Major League Baseball's judgment has been rendered.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER