Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Henrietta Strickland
June 12, 2018

A five-year-old girl in MS temporarily lost the ability to walk after she developed "tick paralysis", a rare condition caused by tick bites.

Griffin said she rushed her daughter to the hospital where doctors diagnosed her with tick paralysis. The girl had been at a T-ball game the night before and was "perfectly fine", Griffin told Mississippi News Now.

Jessica Griffin posted to Facebook on Wednesday saying that her daughter Kailyn woke up that morning unable to walk and struggling to speak. "She would try to stand and walk but would continue to fall so I thought her legs were just asleep". Girls often have longer hair than boys, which ticks can attach to and hide in, increasing the risk of tick paralysis, the report said. The condition can become life-threatening if the tick is not removed quickly, with the potential for paralysis to affect respiratory muscles.

Tick paralysis is most commonly caused by the American dog tick and the Rocky Mountain wood tick, according to Columbia University's Lyme and Tick-Borne Diseases Research Center.

"I honestly have never even heard of that before", Griffin said. Kailyn woke up and couldn't walk! Griffin posted. "Everything is completely back to normal!"

Now, Griffin says she working to spread awareness about the common, but unassuming condition. She also wrote a lengthy warning to parents, urging them to check their children for ticks.

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted, in part. "She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal".

Griffin's initial post garnered more than 371,000 shares and 96,000 likes.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER