Record Everest climber returns, already planning next trip

Marco Green
May 22, 2018

The 2015 season was scrapped after 19 climbers were killed and 61 injured by an avalanche at the base camp triggered by a massive natural disaster.

Nobukazu Kuriki, 36, was found dead in a tent at 7,400 metres (24,278 feet) on the 8,850-metre mountain, tourism department official Gyanendra Shrestha said from base camp.

After flying back to Kathmandu by helicopter, Kami Rita, 48, said he's not ready to retire and plans to continue to guide visiting climbers on the world's highest mountain next year.

A Sherpa guide who has scaled Mount Everest for the 22nd time has returned from the record-breaking trip and told friends he is not done yet.

Gjeorgi Petkov, a 63-year-old from Macedonia, was at a higher elevation at the time of his death, officials said. He was found dead at his camp at 7,400 metres mountain.

"Kuriki-san had become a legend in Japan with his Everest attempts and going so far as to lose [nine] fingers to frostbite [in a 2012 attempt]", Arnette wrote.

Kuriki was a known mountaineer who climbed many mountains and made several attempts on Everest. According to the report, more than 340 foreign climbers are allowed by Nepal to ascend the peak during the current season.

Two other climbers died on the world's tallest peak over the same weekend. Teams have to end their attempts by the end of this month as weather conditions deteriorate.

"He dreamed of summiting Everest in the autumn-rarely accomplished by any climber-in his unique style of strictly alone and without supplemental oxygen".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER