Basque Militant Group ETA Disbands After Decades of Killing

Elias Hubbard
May 3, 2018

The Basque separatist group Eta, which killed more than 800 people during its 40-year terror campaign, has announced its full dissolution days after apologising to its victims and their families.

The declaration was made in a letter dated April 16 and sent to a number of political institutions, Spanish news agency EFE reported.

But mediators say that without a reciprocal gesture on the conditions of 270 ETA members jailed on either side of the French-Spanish border, lasting peace in the Basque region will be elusive.

The Spanish government said last week that ETA's dissolution changed nothing in regard to Spain's policy towards the group.

ETA assured in the letter they "completely dissolve all its structures" and "stop its political initiative".

It said its dissolution "doesn't overcome the conflict that the Basque Country maintains with Spain and with France" but that its move was aimed at "shaking off the situation of the last decades and building a future from a new starting point".

The group announced another cease-fire in October 2011, and this one held.

ETA also caused outrage in 1987 after the auto bombing of a Barcelona supermarket killed 21 people, including a pregnant woman and two children, drawing condemnation from across the world. All of the activities THAT has carried out dozens of terrorist attacks and assassinations.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER