Hawkins discharged from hospital after marathon collapse

Ruben Hill
April 16, 2018

A Team Scotland statement added: "Team Scotland is pleased to confirm Callum Hawkins has been discharged from Gold Coast University Hospital today and has been reunited with his teammates in the Commonwealth Games Village, ahead of the team's return to the UK".

But in a harrowing conclusion to the men's marathon, the athlete collapsed towards the end of the race on a scorching day in the east coast of Australia.

The 25-year-old briefly got back to his feet to continue, but he soon collapsed once more and the time it took medical staff to attend attracted widespread criticism.

The Scottish runner collapsed while leading the marathon on Sunday with just a mile-and-a-half to go.

Another Tanzania runner, Stephano Huche Gwandu, took a tumble as he crossed the finish line and was helped into a wheelchair.

Team Scotland has advised that there are no major concerns for his well-being at this stage.

Organising committee chief executive Mark Peters took issue with bystanders who were seen filming Hawkins on their phones as he lay on the ground. "We are offering every assistance possible to Callum and Team Scotland".

"GOLDOC has put in place a wide range of measures to ensure athlete welfare and the response of medical staff this morning was within agreed response guidelines and timeframes".

"I was also concerned about the behavior of a small number of bystanders who chose to take images".

It also confirmed that Callum was undergoing further tests as a precaution.

There were also reports that spectators were told not to interfere with Hawkins, who risked being disqualified under the strict competition rules if he accepted medical assistance.

Hawkins was not the only athlete to suffer in brutal conditions.

Shelley won the race in two hours, 16 minutes and 46 seconds with Uganda's Munyo Solomon Mutai taking silver (2:19:02) and Scotland's Robbie Simpson bronze (2:19:36).

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article