Over 1000 children abducted by Boko Haram since 2013, United Nations report says

Henrietta Strickland
April 15, 2018

The militants regularly took youngsters to spread fear and show power, the United Nations children's agency UNICEF said on the eve of the fourth anniversary of the Chibok case.

In the statement, UNICEF representative in Nigeria, Mohammed Malick Fall, said since the conflict started in the North-eastern Nigeria almost nine years ago, at least 2,295 teachers have been killed and more than 1,400 schools have been destroyed, leaving most of these schools closed because of extensive damage or ongoing insecurity.

In the report released on Friday, April 13, 2018, the agency said it had documented more than 1,000 verified cases, with the possibility of a larger number.

"These repeated attacks against children in schools are unconscionable".

Ibrahim, who said in his statement that he was a security guard at the Government House, Sokoto, was alleged to have been responsible for giving passage to Boko Haram members. It added that the group had also killed at least 2,295 teachers and destroyed more than 1,400 schools. Its violent campaign to carve out an Islamic state there has claimed more than 20,000 lives and displaced over 2 million people. These girls were released by the group last month for reasons that are still unclear. Now ten years into its insurgency, there is no sign the conflict is going to end anytime soon.

It is expedient to bring to public awareness, that in its desperation to survive troops' onslaught and remain relevant in the eyes of the public, the Boko Haram terrorists group has continued to make frantic efforts to infiltrate communities with Person Borne Improvised Explosive Devices (Suicide bombers) to callously unleash terror and fear on the populace.

On Monday, Buhari said he plans to seek re-election in 2019. Some may be dead, according to testimony from the rescued girls and Boko Haram experts.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER