Jayalalithaa was reluctant to go to hospital, Sasikala tells inquiry panel

Elias Hubbard
Марта 21, 2018

Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had refused to go to hospital hours before she fainted at her house on September 22, 2016, her close aide VK Sasikala has told the judicial panel investigating her death. In her affidavit she narrated the incidents that she was under too much of stress due to the conviction in the corruption case, when she fell unconscious in washroom around 9.30 PM on September 22, 2016. Later, Sasikala helped the former Chief Minister to her bed, where she 'fainted'. However, earlier in the same day, she had rejected Sasikala's suggestion to go to hospital after a doctor examined her twice, the affidavit read. Sasikala revealed that Jayalalithaa regained consciousness while she was in the ambulance.

Ms Sasikala has also said that Jayalalithaa was videographed in a lucid state four times in hospital and senior AIADMK leaders including O Panneerselvam and M Thambidurai met her; both leaders have said they were denied access to Jayalalithaa in her three months in hospital. "She passed out and I called the doctor for an ambulance", she said.

Dr. KS Sivakumar, who was Sasikala's relative, treated Jayalalithaa when she was hospitalised. But Jayalalithaa refused. She was taken to the hospital due to giddiness and she recovered from this.

According to Sasikala's affidavit, Jayalalithaa's health had taken a turn for the worse after her imprisonment in the Disproportionate Assets case in 2014 for 22 days. She had later chose to contest from the R K Nagar constituency in Chennai only because her mobility had been affected due to high levels of blood sugar, Sasikala also said in the affidavit. She added that her fluctuating sugar levels in the first week of September 2016 had played a huge role in her deteriorating health condition.

It says that Rao saw Jayalalithaa through a glass partition, after which she waved at him. Doctors claimed she suffered a cardiac arrest. Even details of her food consumption were in it, and it has all been submitted to the Commission.

Jayalalithaa died in the Apollo hospital in Chennai on December 5 2016, amid questions fueled by the secrecy surrounding her condition and limited access to the 68-year-old.

The 55-page affidavit lists the people who saw Jayalalithaa in hospital.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article