Infant dies after early morning carbon monoxide leak at a Barrie home

Elias Hubbard
March 19, 2018

Enbridge and Barrie police are investigating at the home.

Neighbour Kim Mango said she suspected carbon monoxide after seeing trucks from the gas company at the scene.

"We did find one in the basement, but it did not have a battery in it and had not been installed", she said.

A 10-month-old baby has died while its mother and three-year-old sibling are in hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in a Barrie home Sunday morning.

The mother and two-year-old child were taken to a Toronto hospital for further treatment, Hoffman said.

There was no immediate update on the condition of the mother and her children in hospital.

Mainprize said the death has been hard on the community, including first responders.

"It's very, very hard", she said.

The family involved has not been named.

Firefighters indicated carbon monoxide detectors were in the home but were not alarming when fire crews arrived.

"You can not see it, taste it or smell it", she said. "The only way to know if there's carbon monoxide is to get an alarm".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER