USU student hospitalized after eating Tide Pods

Henrietta Strickland
January 23, 2018

A Utah State University student was taken to a hospital Saturday after ingesting a Tide Pod, the university said. "This is bad. Children are going to see these and associate them with Tide Pods".

The student in question ingested a single tide pod.

Teens have been increasingly biting into laundry pods, with some posting the videos online as part of a "challenge", according to a statement Tuesday by the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Hurts Donut joined in on the craze by selling the doughnut version of the laundry capsule. Additionally, P&G asked YouTube and Facebook to remove videos of teens eating the pods and responded directly to users.

A New York City pizzeria is rolling out a specialty pizza dish created in response to the risky internet trend of people eating laundry detergent pods. In the first 15 days of 2018 it has handled 39 cases. He noted this challenge is worrying due to its social nature as well as the tendency of teenagers to move from one risky trend to another.

The extremely unsafe challenge itself was born out of this meme.

The company also released a public service announcement featuring the New England Patriots' Rob Gronkowski in which he discouraged people from playing with Tide Pods.

"The "laundry packet challenge" is neither amusing nor without serious health implications", Stephen Kaminski, the association's CEO and executive director, said in a statement Tuesday.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER