Models accuse photographers of harassment

Lawrence Kim
January 14, 2018

A bombshell report in The New York Times this Saturday detailed multiple male models' accounts of sexual misconduct at the hands of renowned fashion photographers Bruce Weber and Mario Testino.

"I'm completely shocked and saddened by the outrageous claims being made against me, which I absolutely deny", Weber said in a statement from his lawyer to the Times.

Model Robyn Sinclair told The New York Times: "I remember him putting his fingers in my mouth, and him grabbing my privates".

According to today's Times article, 13 former personal assistants and models who worked with Testino dating back to the 1990s claim that he subjected them to "sexual advances that in some cases included groping and masturbation". We never had sex or anything, but a lot of things happened.

Locke alleged that during a photo shoot on a bed, Testino asked his team to leave the room and then climbed onto the bed on top of him.

"I went at him, like, you better get away", Locke said.

He described his casting experience in the photographer's hotel room during which Testino greeted him in a loose dressing grown. The law firm representing Mr. Testino challenged the credibility of those alleging sexual misconduct.

"Sexual harassment was a constant reality", he said. "As a result, we will not be working with Mario Testino for the foreseeable future".

She announced a new worldwide "Code of Conduct" for contributors to all publications of Vogue's parent company, Conde Nast, for which she serves as artistic director.

Testino, who is a favourite of both the royal family and Vogue, and Weber, who made his name shooting Calvin Klein advertisements, both vehemently denied the allegations.

The newspaper reported the guidelines include a ban on under-18 models and alcohol on sets - and recommend that models are not left alone with photographers or other team members.

"Recreational drugs are not permitted", and any shoot involving nudity, skimpy clothing or sexual poses "must be approved in advance by the subject".

In a joint statement, Condé CEO Bob Sauerberg and Ann Wintour, artistic director and the editor-in-chief of Vogue, stated, "We are deeply disturbed by these accusations and take this very seriously, as previously noted in our statement regarding sexual harassment".

In October, several magazines and fashion houses also said they would no longer work with fashion photographer Terry Richardson after he too was accused of harassing models, following years of rumors about his behavior.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER