Boko Haram kills four, hijacks Food Trucks in Borno

Henrietta Strickland
December 18, 2017

The attack was the latest in the region as the conflict with Boko Haram nears its ninth year.

According to him, there were no civilian casualties in the attack, adding that he was at Dikwa when the incident occurred.

At least four people were killed in an attack on a convoy of World Food Program (WFP) in Nigeria's insurgency-wracked northeast.

"WFP can confirm that a convoy escorted by the Nigerian military including WFP-hired trucks was the subject of an attack by armed groups 35 kilometers southwest of Ngala in Borno State on Saturday", a spokesperson for the United Nations food assistance organization told Reuters.

Internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Borno state have been accused of providing Boko Haram with the information on the whereabouts of aid workers. WFP in its confirmation email was silent about the abduction of the three other persons.

It remained unclear if the four people killed in the attack were WFP employees, or drivers and assistants of the hired trucks.

Abuja last week approved the release of $1 billion from the country's excess oil account to help fight the Boko Haram insurgency, despite a two-year narrative that Boko Haram has been all but defeated.

Information obtained by Naija News, says Maj. -Gen. Rogers Nicholas, the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, also denied the killings of civilians during the attack.

Troops later killed two jihadists and recovered weapons after trailing them to nearby villages, the sources said.

WFP, a United Nations body has been involved in providing food assistance to persons displaced by Boko Haram insurgency across North East Nigeria. No civilian was killed. Please drop your comment!

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER