Akayed Ullah, New York subway bombing suspect, arrested on terrorism charge

Elias Hubbard
December 17, 2017

Ullah held a for-hire vehicle driver's license with the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission from 2012 to 2015 and is reported to have worked as an electrician most recently.

Ullah has also been charged by local law enforcement with criminal possession of a weapon, a support act of terrorism and making a terroristic threat, according to the NYPD.

On the morning of the attack, Ullah posted on his Facebook page, "Trump you failed to protect your nation".

A screenshot taken from surveillance footage inside the subway station where an explosion occurred on Monday, December 11, 2017. Police said a man with a pipe bomb strapped to him set off the crude device in an underground passageway under 42nd Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues.

"We have collected evidence and information from his family members", said Monirul Islam, head of the Bangladesh police's counterterrorism unit.

The family issued a statement through the Council on American-Islamic Relations saying they were "heartbroken" by the attack and the allegations against Ullah.

Ullah arrived in the United States in 2011, and the Department of Homeland Security said he is a lawful permanent resident who was living in Brooklyn.

It happened just five weeks after another ISIS-inspired terror attack on Halloween on Manhattan's West Side that left eight people dead and a dozen injured. "We're going to end them fast", Trump said at the White House.

Asked whether New Yorkers should feel safe, Waters said the NYPD was "well experienced in protecting New York City each and every day".

"He went out of his residence to offer prayers at a nearby mosque", Ahad told The Associated Press.

It was his first court appearance since he allegedly detonated a pipe bomb in a subway passageway near the Port Authority Bus Terminal in what prosecutors described as a bungled suicide attack carried out in the name of ISIS.

He was expected to appear before a magistrate, though it was not immediately clear if he was well enough to go to court. Three passersby suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Despite his injuries, Ullah spoke to investigators from his hospital bed, law enforcement officials said.

Akayed Ullah, a 27-year-old supporter of the radical group Islamic State, will appear from Bellevue Hospital before a judge via video conference as soon as Wednesday, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office. Investigators say the suspect detonated a crudely-made pipe bomb, sending commuters running from the scene.

He said he was motivated, in part, by al-Qaida's online propaganda magazine Inspire and by the historic treatment of Muslims, according to law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation. Ullah is not a USA citizen but had attained permanent residency.

His attack was the latest inspired by militants to hit the largest USA city.

Trump's administration has called for a "merit-based" immigration system that would limit family-based green cards to spouses and minor children.

The officers saw Ullah, a 27-year-old Brooklyn resident, on the ground with wires stretching from his jacket to his trousers, Egbert said.

This undated photo provided by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission shows Akayed Ullah, the suspect in the explosion near New York's Times Square on Monday, Dec. 11, 2017. But the attack sent frightened commuters fleeing through a smoky passageway.

"So far, we have found out that the suspect lived in Dhaka before migrating to the U.S. and he had visited his ancestral home a few months ago", SP Mina said. Ullah reached for a cellphone and had other items attached to him, Egbert said.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article