NAF: Our fighter jets killed scores of Boko Haram

Henrietta Strickland
December 7, 2017

A military spokesman confirmed the replacement of Ibrahim Attahiru, theatre commander of the operation against Boko Haram, in a text message to Reuters.

Ibrahim's removal follows a series of brazen attacks by the insurgents in Borno and Adamawa states that have led to the death of many soldiers and civilians.

A statement by the Army Director of Public Relations, Brig.

TheCable understands that Ibrahim has been replaced by Major General Rogers Nicholas who was formerly in charge of logistics at the army headquarters.

Nigeria is replacing the military commander of the fight against Boko Haram after half a year, an army spokesman said on Wednesday, following a string of insurgency attacks despite years of official claims the group has nearly been defeated.

It was reported in August 2017 that the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai, issued a 40-day ultimatum to the Operation Lafiya Dole Theatre Command to capture Shekau, but that had not been done since the deadline expired in September.

Ibrahim took over from Maj. Gen.

Ibrahim is expected to resume as Deputy Chief of Policy and Plans at the Army Headquarters.

Recall that Major General Lucky Irabor is now the Force Commander of the Multi-national Joint Taskforce fighting to clear Boko Haram, cross border bandits and other criminal elements in the Lake Chad Basin Commission countries.

"Meanwhile, troops of 202 Battalion, Sector I, Operation Lafiya Dole, in the early hours of Monday, ambushed unsuspecting Boko Haram terrorists along Sabsawa axis".

The Nigerian Army on Tuesday said its troops had killed three Boko Haram insurgents in Sabsawa axis of Sambisa forest area of Operation.

The police in Borno had said 53 others were injured and had been evacuated to the medical facility.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER