First Ever Marijuana Overdose Death Kills 11-Month-Old Baby, Doctors Say

Henrietta Strickland
November 17, 2017

A subsequent medical examination on the child was performed, which found THC enzymes in his blood, though the report notes that "route and timing of exposure to cannabis were unknown".

According to Nappe and Hoyte, the 11-month-old was taken to the emergency department after experiencing a seizure. It depresses the central nervous system and affects the chemistry of the brain - yet there has never been a report of someone actually dying just from consuming too much marijuana, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Then his heart stopped.

Numerous tactics were tried to save the child, including CPR, medicine and infusions, the report stated.

Nappe co-authored the report and says doctors observed the "unusual sequence of events" and alerted the medical community in order to study the relationship between marijuana and the child's death. They also recommend that parents be counseled on how to prevent such exposures, writing that children are at an increased risk of exposure through edible marijuana.

The autopsy of the boy found he was suffering from myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart that, according to the Myocarditis Foundation, "usually attacks otherwise healthy people" and "is believed" to cause between 5 and 20 percent of sudden death in young adults. "And that's the only thing we found", Hoyte said. The doctors said it appeared the toddler had consumed a large amount of marijuana in a short amount of time.

It is unclear how exactly the infant came to have such high levels of THC in his blood but his parents admitted that they had marijuana in some form in their household
First Ever Marijuana Overdose Death Kills 11-Month-Old Baby, Doctors Say

Jonathan Caulkins, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University's Heinz College, said that it might be possible that a cannabis-overdose caused the child's death because the substance "can accelerate the heart".

Currently, recreational marijuana is legal across eight states in the US: Alaska, California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. And just one thing led to another and the kid ended up with a heart stopped.

The doctors said the boy's heart stopped and, despite efforts to resuscitate, the child died.

The report stated the child had an "unstable motel-living situation" and that his parents admitted to "drug possession, including cannabis".

Dr. Noah Kaufman, an emergency medicine specialist in Colorado, told 9News that there could be a lot of things behind the death of the infant. "Because that is saying confidently that this is the first case".

The authors also admit they don't know how much marijuana the child ingested or when he ate it. "'We've got one!' And I still disagree with that".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER