Apple Watch Could Detect Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure

James Marshall
November 14, 2017

The University of California San Francisco and Health startup Cardiogram have partnered together on another study aiming to provide details on just how well the Apple Watch is able to detect common health problems.

Sleep apnea was detected with a 90 percent accuracy.

Furthermore, it can also identify hypertension with an accuracy of 82%. The training used 70% of those participants with the remaining 30% of participants not used for training. To conduct this study, specialists used a Cardiogram app.

Rather than saying a specific wearable can detect health problems like hypertension and sleep apnea, it says majority can as long as they're paired up with a powerful AI agent like DeepHeart.

John Hsieh is the co-founder of Cardiogram and the lead author of the study. The Apple Watch AI will continuously track people, preventing them when hypertension signs appear.

Cardiogram is confident that the Apple Watch and other similar gadgets could soon prove to be a cost-effective diagnosis tool for the two conditions affecting more and more people in the Western world.

Another 75 million American adults have high blood pressure (hypertension), according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), putting them at risk for heart disease and stroke, the top causes of death in the United States.

Cardiogram previously used the same neural network and Apple Watch data to determine that the Apple Watch is able to detect abnormal heart rate rhythms with 97 percent accuracy. It's incredibly exciting to see that the potential of wearables to let us know about risky health conditions - non-invasively - is alive and well, but this also requires the companies in charge of these platforms to deliver on software and AI as good as DeepHeart.

In the study, researchers looked at the heart rate data from more than 6,000 Apple Watch users.

According to the study, DeepHeart was able to analyze a week's worth of regular, boring wearable data - the kind you can pull off your device right now - and detect subtle patterns associated with hypertension and sleep apnea. This smart feature is what should convince numerous other people to purchase an Apple smartwatch.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER