Egypt army kills 6 terrorists in North Sinai raid: Armed Forces spokesman

Joanna Estrada
October 24, 2017

Egyptian authorities have accused Reuters and the BBC of "inaccurate coverage" of clashes in the western desert between security forces and armed militants in which police officers and conscripts were killed on Friday.

Funerals were held in several provinces for those killed, whose coffins were wrapped in Egyptian flags.

A former special services officer, Ashmawy, is fully aware of the competencies and deficiencies among the different branches of Egypt's armed forces as well as the anti-terror police detachments under interior ministry command.

The ministry said it had sent police to the area, less than 200 kilometres (125 miles) southwest of Cairo, after learning that militants were there "hiding, training, and preparing to carry out terrorist operations".

One security source said the convoy was attacked from higher ground by militants firing rocket-propelled grenades and detonating explosive devices on the ground.

There has not yet been a claim of responsibility.

"The inaccurate details that aired on Moussa's show are a violation to basic media regulations that are based on the reliability of a source; especially when concerned with issues relating to national security", said Tarek Saadah, the Media Syndicate's chairman.

Egypt's security forces have been waging a war over the past four years against an Islamist terrorist insurgency, mostly in North Sinai, that has seen hundreds of security personnel killed, as well as hundreds of terrorists killed in security campaigns.

On Saturday armoured vehicles were seen parked on the road close to where the incident took place along with about 15 ambulances.

A military statement said those travelling inside the vehicles were killed during the operation, without specifying how many. But most of the fighting so far between militants and security forces has been in northern Sinai, where an Islamic State affiliate operates.

President al-Sisi during a cabinet meeting on Sunday vowed to crackdown on those responsible for the attack.

But an AFP reporter did not see the strongman leader at an open-air ceremony involving foreign dignitaries, and his office said he had cancelled his participation in a number of other engagements.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER