Man Nearly Dies After Live Fish Jumps Down His Throat

Elias Hubbard
October 13, 2017

A fisherman has suffered a cardiac arrest after accidentally swallowing a fish he caught when attempting to kiss it at a beach in England.

They were told he had put the 14-centimetre Dover sole over his mouth as a joke, but it wriggled free and jumped down his throat, blocking his airway.

Paramedics arrived within minutes to find the man's friends giving him CPR after he had collapsed and stopped breathing.

"Plainly we expected to get the fish out or this patient was not going to survive the short adventure to Royal Bournemouth Hospital", he said.

"It's tradition to kiss your first catch", Ian Cowie, one of the unnamed angler's fishing buddies.

They praised the angler's friends who had performed CPR before the arrival of emergency crews at about 23:00 BST on 5 October.

"I was intensely mindful that I just had one endeavor at getting this perfectly fine I lost hold or a piece severed and it slid farther of sight at that point there was nothing more that we could have done to recover the obstacle".

Once inside the ambulance, paramedics said the man's condition was worsening despite artificial ventilation.

It caused a complete obstruction of the man's airways and his face turned blue after the incident on Boscombe Pier in Bournemouth, Dorset.

Mr Harrison added the outcome could have been a lot worse.

'Very carefully, so as not to break the tail off, I tried to remove it, although the fish's barbs and gills were getting stuck on the way back up, ' explained Mr Harrison.

"I have never attended a more freaky incident and don't think I ever will", Harrison said, according to The Bournemouth Daily Echo.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER