Tyrell Cobb's stepdad walks free after pleading guilty to manslaughter

Elias Hubbard
October 12, 2017

Matthew Scown was convicted of manslaughter, after not providing him the medical attention he needed, and on Wednesday, he was sentenced to four years' jail for his crime.

There was no doubt Scown was delighted.

HIS little body wracked with pain, feeling lethargic and running a high fever and unable to eat, drink or talk, Tyrell Cobb's last day alive was one of "horror".

In extraordinary scenes, the 34-year-old smiled for the cameras and laughed to himself as he walked away from court through a media scrum.

Ms D'Ath said the government asked the Sentencing Advisory Council to look into the issue of child death sentences.

"They're doing all these plea bargains just to move cases through".

"I think if the DPP had the resources and the backbone they should have gone for him (Scown)".

Tyrell was found unconscious inside an apartment at Biggera Waters and later died in hospital.

The boy had 53 bruises and 17 abrasions from head to legs when he died, the court heard.

The Australian Army will face a two-week trial in the Queensland Supreme Court on November 6.

She said offenders are "laughing" after a series of cases in which child killers have had charges reduced, including a man who tortured his infant daughter to death.

Tyrell's mother, Heidi Strbak, is also charged with manslaughter.

Mr McCarthy said Tyrell's physical reaction to his severe abdominal injury would have been bad enough for Scown to know something was wrong.

Prosecutor Phil McCarthy told the court Scown called triple-0 when Tyrell began vomiting after he was put to bed by his mother and told the operator "it looks like he's going to die".

During Scown's sentencing, Justice Martin Burns heard of the trauma and pain Tyrell endured in his final 32 hours.

While there's no suggestion Scown inflicted the fatal injuries, he did admit to police he knew about the abuse little Tyrell was suffering.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said this morning her Attorney-General would review the case and said she was open to advice from anyone - including Bravehearts' Hetty Johnston - who had ideas about ways to improve the law.

"Clearly you were very anxious about the little boy", he said.

'The public was rightly disturbed by the response of Mr Matthew Scown as he left court yesterday after sentencing, ' she told Parliament.

"Every movement would have caused extreme pain", he said.

Scown is not alleged to have caused the injuries, but failed to call for medical help in time to save him.

"You contacted Tyrell's father to persuade Tyrell's mother to get Tyrell medical treatment", Justice Burns told Scown.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article