Liverpool Would Have Sold Philippe Coutinho for €200M, Says Barcelona Chief

Ruben Hill
September 19, 2017

Barcelona failed with three bids for Coutinho throughout the summer window as they went in search of a replacement for Neymar, who joined Paris Saint-Germain.

The 25-year-old admitted his head had been turned by the interest, but rejected the notion it was inevitable he would leave Anfield next...

"What happened was a job offer and, in life, sometimes you get interested".

"It was a complicated month for me, but like I said I'm here now".

Interestingly, the new deal, which came into effect in July, didn't have a release clause included in it, and here's what the man himself had to say.

Coutinho handed in a transfer request at Liverpool and his "back injury" stopped him from playing at the beginning of the season. "Sometimes you don't and, in my case, everyone knows that I got interested, my family too", Coutinho told ESPN Brasil.

Barcelona quite rightly refused to pay that exorbitant price for the Brazilian; their final offer was less than half that amount despite having received £198m for Neymar. What I need to do is to work hard and to always do my best to help the team. "Liverpool are a great club". "Now I'm here and I'll give my best, as always".

It was his absence through the African Cup of Nations that put an end to the team's good form last season and ended their title run.

With a Carabao Cup tie at Leicester on Tuesday Klopp made seven changes against the Clarets but despite that he saw signs that the squad he has built can have a successful season despite recent dropped points.

But Mane emerged as their driving force with a series of impressive displays which showed why he is now one of the most feared forwards in the top flight.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER